- This is a main cities page for New York City. It has been featured more than once throughout the Driver series.
- Main article: New York City on Wikipedia
New York is the most populous city in the United States and the center of the New York Metropolitan Area, one of the most populous metropolitan areas in the world. The city is referred to as New York City or The City of New York to distinguish it from the State of New York, of which it is a part. A global power city, New York exerts a significant impact upon commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and entertainment. The home of the United Nations Headquarters, New York is an important center for international diplomacy and has been described as the cultural capital of the world.
Located on one of the world's largest natural harbors, New York City consists of five boroughs, each of which is a state county. The five boroughs—The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island—were consolidated into a single city in 1898. With a Census-estimated 2011 population of 8,244,910 distributed over a land area of just 305 square miles (790 km2), New York is the most densely populated major city in the United States. As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. The New York City Metropolitan Area's population is the United States' largest, with 18.9 million people distributed over 6,720 square miles (17,400 km2), and is also part of the most populous combined statistical area in the United States, containing 22.1 million people as of the 2010 Census.
Games Featuring New York City
- New York City in Driver: You Are the Wheelman - Rendition of New York City as seen in Driver: You Are the Wheelman
- New York City in Driver: Parallel Lines - Rendition of New York City as seen in Driver: Parallel Lines
- New York City in Driver 76 - Rendition of New York City as seen in Driver 76
- New York City in Driver: Renegade 3D - Rendition of New York City as seen in Driver: Renegade 3D
- Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places over 100,000, Ranked by July 1, 2009 Population: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009 (SUB-EST2009-01). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2011-04-26. [dead link]
- World's Largest Urban Areas [Ranked by Urban Area Population]. Rhett Butler (2003–2006). Retrieved on 2011-04-26.
- Largest Cities of the World – (by metro population). Woolwine-Moen Group d/b/a Graphic Maps. Retrieved on 2011-04-26.
- Largest Urban Areas in the World: 2008 All Urban Areas 2,000,000 & Over. Wendell Cox Consultancy. Retrieved on 2011-04-26.
- Welcome to the official New York City Web Site. The City of New York (2011). Retrieved on 2011-09-18.
- All Municipality Websites Listed Alphabetically. New York State. Retrieved on 2011-09-18.
- GLOBAL POWER CITY INDEX 2009. © 2009 The Mori Memorial Foundation. All rights reserved. Retrieved on 2012-06-01.
- United Nations Visitors Centre. United Nations (2011). Retrieved on 2011-04-26.
- Office of the Mayor Commission for the United Nations, Consular Corps and Protocol. The City of New York (2012). Retrieved on 2012-02-05.
- Consulate General of Iceland New York Culture. Consulate General of Iceland New York. Retrieved on 2012-02-13.
- How The Earth Was Made. © 1996–2011, A&E Television Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Retrieved on 2011-09-19.
- Boroughs of New York City. Ben Cahoon (2002). Retrieved on 2012-02-03.
- A 5-Borough Centennial Preface for Katharine Bement Davis Mini-History. The New York City Department of Correction (1997). Retrieved on 2011-10-26.
- New York: A City of Neighborhoods. New York City Department of City Planning. Retrieved on 2011-04-30.
- Sam Roberts. "Population Growth in New York City Is Outpacing 2010 Census, 2011 Estimates Show", Wikipedia:The New York Times, April 5, 2012. Retrieved on 2012-04-24.
- American Fact Finder (U.S. Census Bureau): New York by County – Table GCT-PH1. Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2000 Data Set: Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data, Retrieved 2009-02-06
- NYC Profile (PDF). New York City Department of City Planning. Retrieved on 2008-05-22.
- Roberts, Sam. "It's Still a Big City, Just Not Quite So Big", The New York Times, May 22, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-05-22.
- County and City Data Book:2007 (U.S. Census Bureau), Table B-1, Area and Population, Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- Roberts, Sam. "Listening to (and Saving) the World's Languages", The New York Times, April 28, 2010. Retrieved on 2010-04-29.
- Table GCT-PL2 - Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - United States -- Metropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2012-03-28.
- NYC The Official Guide nycgo.com – nyc statistics. NYC & Company. Retrieved on 2011-09-17.
- Table GCT-PL2 - Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - United States -- Combined Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2012-03-28.